How may I audition for a music scholarship?
To be considered for a music scholarship, students must meet the following requirements:
1. Audition for EKU Music Faculty. Guidelines for auditions may be found at http://music.eku.edu/audition-requirements
2. Have declared a major or minor in music – The Change of Major form may be found at www.forms.eku.edu.
3. Have been fully admitted to EKU – Full admission includes the following:
· Minimum 2.5 GPA
· Minimum 2.5 GPA in all college courses (dual credit or transfer)
· Composite ACT score of at least 20, or ACT subscores of at least 18 in English, 19 in math, and 20 in reading, or 950 SAT math and verbal combined score.
Developmental courses numbered 09 are required for students with ACT subscores below 18 in English, 19 in math, and 20 in reading. According to university policies, students who are required to take two or more developmental (09) courses are automatically restricted from declaring a major and therefore, may not be considered for a music scholarship until those courses are completed. While music minors may be considered for music scholarships, preference will be given to music majors. Meeting the above requirements does not automatically insure that students who audition for a music scholarship will receive a music scholarship.
When should I audition for a music scholarship?
All students are encouraged to apply for a merit scholarship based on their talent. Awards are typically decided by March 1 and a limited number of scholarships are available to non-music majors. Students interested in auditioning for a merit-based scholarship should audition early to allow adequate time for consideration. All applicants, whether seeking scholarship consideration or not, must complete and submit this application form. Students may submit this form at their audition, by fax (859-622-1333), by email, or by printing and mailing the scholarship application form to the School of Music (see address below). Students are also encouraged to apply for other scholarships.
Printed applications should be mailed to:
School of Music
521 Lancaster Avenue
Eastern Kentucky University
Richmond, KY 40475
All transfer students must complete the scholarship waiver form if they wish to apply for a scholarship.
What should I bring to my audition?
Please bring any materials you need for your performance, including music for an accompanist if needed. Please specify your accompaniment needs on your application.
Are other types of scholarships available?
Yes! Other scholarship opportunities are available to new and continuing EKU music students. Academic scholarships are available to qualified students and other opportunities are listed below.
Other Music Scholarships
Bernice N. Clark Memorial Endowed Music Scholarship
Applicants meeting the following requirements may contact the Scholarship Office for an application.
- Must be enrolled full-time and seeking a degree in music at EKU
- Must have had a 3.0 high school GPA (provide copy of high school transcript)
- Preference will be given to residents of Montgomery, Bath or Fleming Counties (Kentucky)
The Annual EKU Josephine Walker American Music Competition
This competition is open to all music majors. Repertoire must be by an American composer and 5-8 minutes in length. A sign-up sheet will be posted in the office during February. Contestants must submit an adjudication sheet by the specified deadline. Judges will be selected from outside the Department of Music.
There will he three (3) winners:
1st Prize-- $250
National Federation of Music Clubs: Music Awards
For more information on these Awards, visit the National Federation of Music Clubs website.
You can also visit the Kentucky Chapter of the National Federation of Music Clubs for available awards.
Other General Scholarship Opportunities
- College of Arts & Sciences Scholarship Opportunities
- University Scholarship Opportunities
- EKU Financial Aid