EKU Online Graduate Studies: Master of Music in Music Education
EKU’s online Master degree in music education offers a unique and engaging learning approach that supports preK-12 music curriculum and allows you to combine your passion for music with best practices for innovative music education.
Format: 100% online
Credit Hours: 32 hours
2016-2017 Tuition: $600 per credit hour
Transfer Credits Accepted: 10 hours
Career Options: Public preK-12 music teacher, private preK-12 music
NOTE: The Master of music in music education degree does not result in teacher certification. In addition, teacher certification is not required for entrance into the program.
What sets our program apart?
Providing a personalized learning experience and a focus on best practices, EKU’s curriculum blends aspects of both academic and professional preparation. Course topics integrate specialized coursework in music education, with additional graduate level coursework in music history and music theory. In addition, the program utilizes a flexible elective offering, allowing students the opportunity to reach their career goals and focus on their musical interests.
- 8-week terms
- Personalized graduation plan
- Study anytime, from any where
- Accredited by The National Association of Schools of Music (NASM)
- Study with nationally recognized, award-winning faculty, guest artists and clinicians
- Personalized and flexible learning experience culminating with a capstone project (no thesis requirement)
- Ranked by U.S. News and World Report among the best universities offering online degrees
Why choose EKU?
EKU is a regionally-accredited, brick-and-mortar university that is ranked among the nation's best colleges and has been educating students for more than a century. EKU has received numerous honors, including being named one of the best online colleges in the nation and one of the most veteran-friendly campuses.
Master of Music Core (12 hours)
- Music Literature
MUS 775: Symphonic Music Literature (or)
MUS 756: Choral Music Literature
- Music History
MUS 872: Seminar in Music History
- Music Theory
MUS 884 or 887: Analytical Techniques I
- Project, Recital, or Thesis
MUS 896, 897 or 899: Special Project in Music
Music Education Option Requirements (10 hours)
- MUS 712 or 750: Teaching Techniques
- MUS 878: Foundations of Music
- MUS 885: Psychology of Music
- MUS 898: Research in Music and Music Education
Electives (10 hours)
- MUS 710: Special Topics in Music (topics will vary)
- MUS 786: Workshop in Instrumental Music
- Advisor approved electives from related areas
Elective credits must include at least 4 credits of applied music courses.
- GRD 857i: M.M. Music Written Comprehensive Exam OR GRD 858i: M.M. Music Oral Comprehensive Exam
Total Curriculum Requirements: 32 Hours
Please contact Dr. Christine Carucci if you are interested in learning more about our online Master of Music in Music Eduaction degree program.