How may I audition for a music scholarship?
To be considered for a music scholarship, students must meet the following requirements:
- Audition for EKU Music Faculty. Guidelines for auditions may be found at https://music.eku.edu/audition-information#auditionrequirements.
- Have declared a major or minor in music – The Change of Major form may be found at https://forms.eku.edu/sites/forms.eku.edu/files/major_declaration_form_program_of_study_11.11.14_2.pdf.
- Have been fully admitted to EKU – Full admission includes the following:
- Minimum 2.5 GPA
- Minimum 2.5 GPA in all college courses (dual credit or transfer)
- Composite ACT score of at least 20, ACT subscores of at least 18 in English, 19 in math, and 20 in reading, 950 SAT math and verbal combined score.
>When should I audition for a music scholarship?
All students are encouraged to apply for a merit scholarship based on their talent. Awards are typically decided by March 1 and a limited number of scholarships are available to non-music majors. Students interested in auditioning for a merit-based scholarship should audition early to allow adequate time for consideration. All applicants, whether seeking scholarship consideration or not, must complete and submit this application form. Students may submit this form at their audition, by fax (859-622-1333), by email, or by printing and mailing the scholarship application form to the School of Music (see address below). Students are also encouraged to apply for other scholarships.
Printed applications should be mailed to:
EKU, ICCA, School of Music
521 Lancaster Ave, Foster 101
Richmond, KY 40475
All transfer students must complete the scholarship waiver form if they wish to apply for a scholarship.
What should I bring to my audition?
Please bring any materials you need for your performance, including music for an accompanist if needed. Please specify your accompaniment needs on your application.
Are other types of scholarships available?
Yes! Other scholarship opportunities are available to new and continuing EKU music students. Academic scholarships are available to qualified students and other opportunities are listed below.
Other Music Scholarships
Bernice N. Clark Memorial Endowed Music Scholarship
Applicants meeting the following requirements may contact the Scholarship Office for an application.
- Must be enrolled full-time and seeking a degree in music at EKU
- Must have had a 3.0 high school GPA (provide copy of high school transcript)
- Preference will be given to residents of Montgomery, Bath or Fleming Counties (Kentucky)
The Annual EKU Josephine Walker American Music Competition
This annual competition mentioned has been scheduled for the recital hour on March 29, 2019, in Foster 100 at 2:30 p.m. This competition is open to both instrumental and vocal students. Other requirements are below.
- The competition is open to all undergraduate and graduate music majors at EKU;
- There will be 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners. Due to an increase in the size of the endowment we can offer larger prizes this year! ($300, $250, $200) respectively
- Performance time for each entrant should be approximately between 5-8 minutes duration.
- If entering with a multi-movement work, if the movements are 5-8 minutes long, please perform only one. If the combined time of the multi-movement work is 5-8 minutes, you may perform the whole work.
- Work(s) performed must be by American composers;
- Works may be accompanied or unaccompanied;
- Students must supply one copy of the score for the judges on the day of the competition;
- Memorization is not required.
Previous 1st place winners are not eligible
National Federation of Music Clubs: Music Awards
For more information on these Awards, visit the National Federation of Music Clubs website.
You can also visit the Kentucky Chapter of the National Federation of Music Clubs for available awards.